Caramel Cashew Skillet Brownies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Cashew Caramel Topping
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup salted cashew halves or pieces
- Optional: Sea salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and whisk until smooth and shiny. Remove pan from heat and whisk in cocoa, salt and vanilla extract. Add eggs and whisk until smooth. Using a rubber scraper, fold in flour and chocolate chips until just combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared skillet and smooth top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Be careful not to over bake. Allow brownies to cool a bit while preparing caramel topping.
- In a 2 quart heavy bottomed sauce pan, place 1 cup sugar over medium heat. As edges begin to melt, gently push liquid sugar up over granulated sugar with a rubber scraper to help it melt. When all the sugar is melted allow it to cook until it becomes a dark amber color. Remove from heat and carefully add butter and heavy cream, stirring until smooth. Return to heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer undisturbed for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow caramel to cool for 10 minutes before adding the cashews and stirring until incorporated. Taste and add sea salt if desired. Pour caramel over the brownies and serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Lindsay Moe @theliveinkitchen.