Caramel Easter Egg Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 24 unwrapped caramel mini Easter egg candies
- Frosing of choice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with liners. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Remove pan from heat. You can also melt chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave on medium high heat, if desired.
- Sift sugar, flour, baking soda and salt together into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream and canola oil. Slowly whisk in eggs, then stir in melted chocolate. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are blended.
- Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds full. Insert egg candy into center of each cupcake. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool, then frost as desired.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.