Caramel Honeycrisp Apple Bars
- 3/4 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 cups peeled and chopped Honeycrisp apples
- 1 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch cardamom
- 11 ounce bag caramel bits
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13” pan with foil; grease foil.
- With an electric mixer, cream together brown sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in salt, baking soda, and spices. On low speed, mix in flour until combined. (The mixture will be crumbly.)
- Reserve 3/4 cup of crust and stir in pecans. Squeeze mixture together into larger pieces. Set aside.
- Press remaining crust into prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss chopped apples with granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt caramel bits and evaporated milk over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Scatter apples over warm crust, then pour on caramel sauce. Sprinkle reserved topping over the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until caramel is bubbly. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, lift foil to remove from pan and peel back foil sides from bars. Use a bench scraper for easy cutting.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.