Caramel Macchiato Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Coffee Italian Meringue
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- Caramel Sauce
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9” x 13” baking pan with nonstick spray and line pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place unsweetened chocolate, butter and coffee into large microwaveable bowl. Microwave just until chocolate is nearly melted. Stir until completely melted. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in eggs followed by sugar and vanilla. Whisk in flour and baking powder. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes in the lower third of oven.
- After 20 minutes, remove brownies from oven and lower temperature to 300°.
- Place sugar and water into a small saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer. Boil until temperature reaches 220°. Do not stir. If sugar crystals are above boiling mixture, use a pastry brush dipped in water to brush sugar back into the mixture.
- While sugar and water are boiling, place egg whites into a mixing bowl fitted with a wire whisk. When the temperature reaches 220° beat egg whites on low medium low speed.
- Once temperature reaches 240°, slowly and carefully pour boiling hot mixture into egg whites. Keep mixer on medium-low speed and pour down the edge of the bowl.
- Once the hot mixture has been added to the mixing bowl, add coffee. Increase speed to high and beat for 6-10 minutes until meringue cools a bit.
- Transfer meringue to the top of brownie layer. Use a metal spatula to smooth the top. Bake at 300°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Place butter, brown sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil and boil for two minutes. Remove pan from the heat and stir in cream. Set aside to cool, stirring completely.
- Once brownies have cooled, lift parchment paper out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Cut brownies into bars.
- Place brownie on a plate and drizzle caramel sauce over the top.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Watch recipe creator Betsy Cohen whip up the recipe in this video!
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments