Caramel Popcorn Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons (1 stick plus 6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter extract (optional)
- 3 cups popped buttery popcorn
- Caramel Topping
- 8 oz bag Werther's Chewy Caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla extract, and butter extract.
- Add flour mixture, mixing until completely combined. Stir in popcorn until as evenly distributed as possible.
- Roll 2 heaping tablespoons of dough into a ball. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are very slightly browned. Cookies will not look cooked in center, but will finish cooking while cooling.
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Optional Caramel Topping: In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave caramels for 30 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second intervals until completely melted.
- Once melted, drizzle tops of each cookie with caramel. Let cool for a 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.