Caribbean Christmas Cake
- 1/2 cup rum, light or dark
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 3/4 cups dark raisins
- 1 bag (8 oz) dried prunes, chopped in raisin size pieces
- 1/2 cup candied orange peel, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice or cardamom
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- Zest of 2 limes, no white bitter pith
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 mandarin oranges
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a saucepan large enough to hold all dried fruit bring rum and red wine to a boil. Add raisins, prunes, and orange peel and remove from heat. Mix together and toss mixture frequently while getting remaining ingredients ready.
- Line a 9 or 10-inch springform pan, bottom, and sides with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and salt and set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy. Add brown sugar and mix well. Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for previously added yolk to be fully incorporated before adding next. Add molasses, vanilla, almond extract, and lime zest.
- Mix in macerated fruit and any remaining juices followed by dry ingredients.
- Whip egg whites to medium peaks and fold into above.
- Transfer to pan and place in oven. After 1 hour in oven cover cake with aluminum foil. Bake for approximately 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours. Time will depend on size of pan used. Center of cake needs to bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Remove sides of springform pan when cake has cooled.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate with orange mandarin segments.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Rum can partially or completely be replaced with red wine.