Carrot Pound Cake with Candied Carrots
- 2 whole carrots
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For Candied Carrots, preheat oven to 225°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel carrots into long ribbons.
- In a small saucepan bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add carrot ribbons to boiling mixture. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove carrots from syrup using a slotted spoon.
- Lay carrot ribbons flat onto prepared pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the carrots start to turn translucent, and are malleable, but firm enough to hold shape.
- To form curls, work quickly and wrap carrots around handle of a wooden spoon. You can also twist them by hand to make curls as loose or tight as you desire.
- While carrots are still warm sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of remaining sugar. Allow to cool completely.
- For cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 10-cup bundt pan with nonstick spray and set aside. Alternately, liberally coat pan with butter and dust with flour or powdered sugar.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add in the salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon and stir until evenly mixed.
- Add in flour and stir until incorporated. Mix in carrots until evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 30 minutes. Loosen edges of cake from pan using a butter knife. Invert pan onto a wire rack or cake plate and allow cake to cool completely.
- For frosting, in bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment mix the butter and cream cheese together on medium speed until smooth. Turn mixer to low and add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix for 30 seconds and then turn mixer up to medium speed and mix for 1 minute until fluffy, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Spread frosting onto cooled cake. This frosting recipe makes enough to cover the entire cake. If you would like to frost only top, as pictured, you can cut this recipe in half.
- Place candied carrot curls onto the frosting as desired.
- Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.