- Using a vegetable peeler or a very sharp knife cut outer peel (orange part only) from oranges. The white pith underneath the outer layer is very bitter and is not desired.
- Cut obtained peel in very small cubes and place in a non reactive saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Add orange meat without connective membrane, add seeds (orange seeds contain pectin which will help to set marmalade), lemon juice and water and bring to boil. Turn to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and cover. Once cool transfer to the refrigerator until next day.
- Remove from refrigerator and add sugar. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Place in the refrigerator until next day.
- Remove from refrigerator and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until a thermometer reads 222-223°F. You can also drop a spoonful on a cold plate. If it holds its shape after 1 minute it is done.
- Using a spoon remove seeds and pour into sterilized jars. Store in the refrigerator.
Imperial Sugar Insight
This 3 day process may seem at first a bit lengthy but it ensures marmalade with low bitterness and tender orange peel.