Chai Pumpkin Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 chai tea bags
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Browned Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place milk in a small sauce pan, bring to boil. Remove from heat; add tea bags and steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags squeezing excess liquid back into milk.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, pumpkin, oil and milk; mixing until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 2 hours.
- To prepare frosting: Melt butter in a small sauce pan. Heat until a light golden brown. Remove from heat. Combine butter and powdered sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a electric beater adding milk until spreading consistency. Spread over cake. Top with chopped pecans.
This cake was so moist and flavorful. The method of steeping tea in milk is brilliant and gave the pumpkin cake a wonderful spice. The frosting, too, is fabulous. I loved the way the brown butter complimented the pumpkin spice cake and the kids at youth group devoured this cake!