- 1 stick unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon black or white pepper
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix well. Add egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and all spices. Add to above in one step and mix just until combined.
- Roll dough in tablespoon size balls, roll in brown sugar and place on parchment lined or nonstick cookie sheets about two inches apart. Flatten gently with palm of your hand.
- Bake cookies at 350°F for 9-10 minutes or until very light golden on edges. Bake a few minutes longer if you prefer crisp cookies.