Cheddar Cheese Crust Apple Pie
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place flour in a bowl of an electric mixer and place in freezer along with mixer’s paddle attachment for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove bowl from freezer. Using a box grater, quickly grate butter onto large eyes of grater and directly into flour. Toss well.
- Grate cheese directly into flour.
- Combine water, salt, and sugar and set aside.
- Add water mixture to flour mixture and mix on low just until dough forms. Do not over mix!
- Cut dough nearly in half but ensuring that one half is just a bit larger than other. Place larger half in refrigerator.
- Roll smaller piece of dough on a lightly floured surface in a circle large enough to line a 9-inch pie tin. Trim away excess dough and set aside. Keep excess dough trimming in refrigerator.
- Peel and core apples. Cut in 8 equal wedges and then cut each wedge crosswise in about 8-10 slices. Place in bowl and immediately toss in sugar. Repeat with all apples.
- Add flour, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Place filling into pie crust.
- Roll remaining pie dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie. Place onto apples and trim away excess dough.
- Cut a few holes into surface for steam to escape. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar. Place in oven.
- After 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- If desired roll remaining dough trimmings and cut into leaf shapes. Make indention into leaves using back of paring knife.
- Place leaves onto a muffin tin to obtain natural curved shapes. Place in oven until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Bake pie for 1 hour 20 minutes or until visible bubbles appear on surface (like bubbling lava) which indicates that filling has thickened.
- If pie gets too dark in oven, cover with foil.
- Place crust leaves on top prior to serving.