Cherry Cheddar Scones
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) very cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheet with either parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- In a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar and salt. Mix on low. While on low, add butter, several cubes at a time, until all butter is just mixed in. Add 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar and dried cherries. Mix on low just until combined.
- Slowly add buttermilk, stirring mixture with a wooden spoon, until dough starts to form and is evenly moist. Take care not to over mix. (A few flour pockets are just fine.)
- Remove dough from the bowl and roll into a 1/2-inch thick circle on a well-floured surface. Cut scones into 12 wedges and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes before rotating pan and sprinkle scones with additional 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes until scones are golden and baked all the way through. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving with butter and jam.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.