Cherry Cheesecake Sour Cream Waffles
- 1 can (16 oz) tart cherries, packed in water, drained (reserve juice)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Cream Cheese Topping
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
Sour Cream Waffles
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola or safflower oil
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare Cherry Sauce: Measure juice and add enough water to make one cup of liquid.
- Blend cherry juice and water with cornstarch, salt and sugar and add this back to cherries. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat add almond extract. Let cool.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Topping: Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy. Set aside in refrigerator until waffles are ready.
- Prepare Sour Cream Waffles: Stir dry ingredients together until well blended.
- Separate eggs and whisk yolks with sour cream and oil. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir together until flour is just moistened.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and carefully fold into batter.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of batter onto a greased, hot waffle iron and cook 4-6 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately topped with dollops of Cream Cheese Topping and Cherry Sauce.