Cherry Limeade Compote
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of one lime, plus more for garnish
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pit cherries and slice in half. Place cherries in a medium saucepan. Add water, sugar, lime zest, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high until boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, keeping at a simmer or low boil. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and vanilla. Pour into a bowl or jar. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate. To cool compote more quickly, place bowl with compote into an ice bath (a larger bowl filled with ice and water), ensuring ice bath doesn’t spill into compote.
- Add extra lime zest over top when serving, if desired.
- Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
May be made with frozen pitted cherries, no need to thaw.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.