Cherry Pie Bars
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/4 cups cherry pie filling
- For sprinkling: Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until combined and fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat until combined, scraping sides and bottom of bowl as necessary. Mix in extracts.
- On low speed, mix in flour until just combined. Reserve 1/2 cup of dough in another bowl. Press larger portion of dough evenly into an ungreased 9x13” pan. Stir almonds into reserved dough.
- Add cherry pie filling evenly over dough. Pinch off sections of almond dough and scatter over top.
- Bake for 38-45 minutes or until the edges are golden and top is lightly browned. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares or bars and dust with confectioner’s sugar.
[Note: To make sticky dough easier to press into pan, wet your hands and dry until still damp. Press dough in place with damp fingers.]
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.