Cherry Upside Down Cake
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (12 oz) sour red cherries, frozen, defrosted and drained
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sifted cake flour*
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle brown sugar in bottom of a well-greased layer cake pan, 8” in diameter and at least 2” deep. Dot brown sugar with butter and place pan in the oven for 5-8 minutes until butter and sugar are melted.
- Arrange cherries on top of brown sugar and butter mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream softened butter and sugar together. Add egg and mix well. Mix and sift cake flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, alternating with milk. Gently stir in vanilla.
- Spoon batter over cherries.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Let cake cool 15-20 minutes, then carefully flip cake onto a plate or cake stand. Serve warm with whipped cream.