Chia Cherry Jam
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, cook cherries, smashing with a wooden spoon (or a potato masher) until cherries are mashed and mixture is bubbling.
- Stir in chia seeds, granulated sugar, and lemon juice until well combined. Cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in almond extract, if desired.
- Let jam cool for 10 minutes and then stir one more time. As jam cools, it will continue to thicken.
- Serve jam immediately, or transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- You can use any fresh or frozen fruit to create this chia seed jam.
- Chia seed jam freezes well, so consider making extra to give as a gift for teachers, friends, family, or neighbors.
- Chia seeds are dark in color and will stay visible in the jam once it's done. With darker colored fruits like cherries, blackberries, blueberries or strawberries, they won't be as noticeable, but something to keep in mind when using a lighter fruit like peaches.
- Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.