- 6 pieces of chicken breast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 8 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium green or red pepper, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Hearty Rice Medley
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Brown chicken pieces in olive oil in a large skillet. Do not cook through. Place browned chicken on a warm plate and drain excess grease from skillet.
- Add tomato sauce, white wine, chicken broth, garlic, marjoram, basil, thyme and sugar to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until well blended. Add bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper. Return chicken pieces to the skillet or place in a large Dutch oven along with tomato sauce mixture.
- Cover and simmer about 35-40 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and tender, but not falling from bones. Add onion, mushrooms, green pepper and tomatoes. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes more or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Serve over a bed of Hearty Rice Medley and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil. Recipe yields 6 servings with about 400 calories per serving, including 1/2 cup serving of rice!
My husband and I loved this recipe! Light and flavorful and perfect over rice or pasta.