Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- 3/4 cup cake flour*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups, divided Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift cake flour, cocoa powder, and 3/4 cup of sugar together in a large bowl.
- Mix together egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until soft peaks. With the mixer still running, slowly add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks.
- Reduce mixer to low speed. Slowly add flour, vanilla, and almond extract. Gently scrape down the sides as necessary. Be careful not to over-mix; it should be just barely combined.
- Pour into an ungreased angel food cake pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes; until the top springs back when you gently press on it.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and invert it until it cools completely. Gently run a thin knife around the sides and the bottom until the cake releases.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.