Chocolate Brownies with Zucchini & Sea Salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 tespoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups (1 medium) zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (like Maldon or fleur de sel)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together oil, sugar and egg together until smooth and well-blended. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Add dry ingredients to sugar/oil mixture and then add the zucchini. Stir well until fully combined. The batter will be thick. Spread batter into prepared pan - pressing down with your hands. Sprinkle an even layer of chocolate chips on top, press into batter, and top chips with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 28 - 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool almost completely before cutting.
NOTE: Grapeseed oil is used here as it has a very high smoke point (4240 degrees), a very light flavor and is rich in vitamins and minerals. It's readily available in most grocery stores but canola oil can be substituted.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Cassie Laemmli @Bake Your Day.