Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (preferably organic or ground sea salt)
- 6 ounces Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate Chips
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup light brown sugar, for one minute on medium speed. Then add in egg and vanilla extract and mix for one minute on medium-low speed. Scrape down sides as needed.
- In a separate bowl, mix all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly blend dry ingredients into sugar/shortening mix (about 1 minute on low—dough ball should form in mixer. Then, mix in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium-sized cookie scoop, scoop cookie batter onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until slightly brown. Cookies will still be soft to touch; they will finish cooking on pan, which ensures a soft middle. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes followed by 10 minutes on a wire rack.