Chocolate Coconut Pound Cake
Chocolate Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (can be olive)
- 1 1/3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange juice at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut rum or regular rum (optional)
Chocolate Glaze and Decoration
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 chocolate bar (3.5 oz) or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper or butter and flour it well. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift together. Stir in coconut flakes and set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy. Add oil and sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and scraping well in between additions. Add vanilla.
- Add one third of dry ingredients and mix until combined, scrape bowl. Add half of orange juice and mix until smooth. Add another third of dry ingredients and, once mixed in ,add remaining juice and Rum if using. Finish with remaining dry ingredients and mix just long enough to combine.
- Scape mixture into prepared pan. Bake until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean, about 55-65 minutes.
- Let cake cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- For glaze, if using a chocolate bar chop it in chip size pieces and set aside.
- In a small saucepan bring to a boil whipping cream and sugar. Remove from heat. Whisk in chocolate.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes and pour on cake. Sprinkle with coconut flakes.