Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional: Decorator sugar or sprinkles
- Line an 8 x 8 square pan with foil. Lightly grease the foil and set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup water in mixer bowl and sprinkle gelatin over top. Turn mixer on low and allow to bloom for 5 to 10 minutes.
- While gelatin blooms, boil 1/4 cup water, corn syrup and sugar over medium heat. Continue to boil for 1 1/2 minute.
- Immediately pour hot sugar mixture slowly into gelatin mixture as your mixer is on low. When incorporated, turn up to medium high and whip for 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract. Turn up to high and whip for another 7 minutes or until mixture has tripled in volume and has formed stiff peaks.
- Quickly spread into prepared pan. Combine powdered sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl; Sprinkle top of marshmallows with the mixture. Allow to set for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove marshmallows from pan and cut with a well oiled knife. Cookie cutters can also be used to shape marshmallows according to theme or event.
- Heat chocolate and oil in microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate is smooth. Using a wooden skewer, dip prepared marshmallows completely in chocolate and place onto parchment paper. Decorate with decorator sugar or sprinkles, if desired. Leave on parchment until chocolate has set.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.