Chocolate Cream Volovanes with Berries
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 packages (18 oz each) puff pastry sheets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar, plus more for dusting
- Assorted berries for decorating
- Mint leaves for decorating
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Dust a working surface and rolling pin with flour. Spread one sheet of puff pastry on surface. Cut out 9 circles with a 3-inch circular cookie cutter and place them on baking tray 1-inch apart.
- Spread second puff pastry sheet on floured surface and cut out 9 more circles. Using as 1-inch circular cookie cutter, cut out a circle in center. These will resemble a doughnut.
- Dip fingers or pastry brush in water. And moisten edges of dough circles (that are not cut out in center) on baking tray. Place circle pieces that resemble a doughnut over pieces that do not have a hole cut out. You will have 9 stacked assembled volovanes. Bruch each piece with egg.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until volovanes are golden and have risen. Cool on tray for 15 minutes.
- While volovanes cook, make chocolate filling.
- Combine heavy whipping cream, cocoa powder, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix with electric mixer for 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Push top thin layer of puff pastry into volovan. Volovan will be hollow and resemble a cup.
- Place chocolate cream in a pastry or a plastic zip bag with bottom corner cut out. Pipe cream in volovan and arrange in a large serving tray. Decorate with berries and mint. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ericka Sanchez @nibblesandfeasts.