Chocolate Filled Cobbled Loaf
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom
- 4 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Bring milk to a boil and then place in freezer until room temperature. Do not use when still lukewarm.
- Pour milk in a bowl of a stand mixer followed by eggs, vanilla, sugar, and salt. Place flour and cardamom on top.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and place on flour.
- Using a dough hook mix until dough is elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount.
- Remove dough from bowl and split exactly in half. Keep one half of dough on kitchen counter wrapped with plastic and place other half back in bowl. Add cocoa powder with a tablespoon water and mix until cocoa powder is mixed into dough. Marbelized looking dough is fine. Remove from bowl and place on kitchen counter wrapped with plastic.
- Meanwhile set aside a springform pan with 10-inch diameter. If your pan is smaller, you can place fewer rolls into a 9-inch and bake remaining rolls in a cake pan. Brush pan with melted butter.
- After about 45 minutes dough will have doubled in size. Press each piece of dough to remove air. Fold dough on itself to make the dough firmer. Cover with plastic for 5 minutes.
- Divide vanilla dough in 12 equal pieces and shape round. Do the same with the chocolate dough.
- Press your thumbs into the bottom of the shaped rolls to create an indention/pouch to fit chocolate chips.
- In the vanilla dough, fit white chocolate chips inside and in chocolate dough press dark chocolate chips inside.
- Place inside prepared pan and brush with beaten egg and drape with plastic food wrap. Place in a warm place and allow to rise for about 30-45 minutes or until the rolls have gained about 60% in volume. Meanwhile turn on the oven to 350°F.
- Remove plastic and brush the rolls once more very gently with beaten egg to avoid inflating them. Place in oven, after 15 minutes place a sheet of aluminum foil on the rolls to prevent these from getting too dark. Bake until light golden for about 25-28 minutes.
- Serve warm.
NOTE: Not every brand of all-purpose flour is created the same. Most brands contain either 3 or 4 grams of protein. Look for flour containing 4-gram protein to make the dough elastic while kneading.