Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- Or 1 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate coating
- 1 package (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For peanut butter cookies, mix butter until light and fluffy in a mixing bowl. Add peanut butter and mix well. Add sugar and mix on high speed until very creamy and light. Then, add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients for peanut butter cookies and add to above on low speed. Once combined, stop mixing.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a regular spoon, shape dough into balls. Place on a parchment lined or a buttered cookie sheet. Press to flatten and sprinkle with granulated sugar if desired.
- Place in oven and bake for 9 to 11 minutes. If cookies are baked at 8 to 9 minutes, they will be tender and soft.
- Once cookies are cool, press 1 rounded tablespoon of ice cream between 2 cookies. Then, place in a jellyroll pan. Freeze until firm.
- For chocolate coating, melt chocolate chips and shortening, stirring occasionally. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- Dip half of each sandwich into chocolate. Then, place in pan and freeze until firm. Store in freezer wrapped in plastic wrap.