Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Layer Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee (or water)
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup peppermint baking bits
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1-2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Peppermint candy for decorating
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make chocolate cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 8-inch, round cake pans by greasing well and coating with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Slowly add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture until everything is just combined. Add in coffee and mix until blended.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 25-27 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 10 minutes, before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Once completely cool wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
- To make peppermint cheesecake, preheat oven to 325°F. Wrap springform pan well with foil and place in a large roasting pan. Set aside. Using an electric mixer cream together cream cheese and sugar until nice and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add in salt and eggs, mixing in eggs one at a time until they are completely blended, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Beat in sour cream, heavy cream, and peppermint extract until everything is smooth and combined.
- Fold in peppermint baking bits.
- Pour into springform pan. To create a water bath, pour boiling water into roasting pan until it comes half way up sides of springform pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven, leave door closed and let cheesecake remain in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove cheesecake from oven and place in fridge to cool. Once it is completely cool cover and freeze or at least 4 hours.
- To make chocolate frosting, use an electric mixer and beat butter on high until it is nice and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder, and milk. Start mixing on low and once combined turn to high and beat until fluffy.
- For vanilla frosting, use an electric mixer and beat butter on high until it is nice and creamy.
- Add vanilla, salt, powdered sugar, and milk. Start mixing on low and once combined turn to high and beat until fluffy.
- To assemble cake, unwrap cakes and place on cake on a plate. Top with cheesecake layer and then remaining chocolate cake.
- Frost sides and top with chocolate frosting.
- To finish, pipe vanilla frosting along outside edge of cake. Decorate with peppermint baking bits, white peppermint chocolate pieces, or crushed candy canes.
- Store in fridge tightly covered, then let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.