Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 box (15.25 oz) chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box (oil, water, eggs). Brands may vary.
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Optional garnish, mini chocolate chips
- For cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside. Prepare cake according to package directions. Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Using back of a wooden spoon poke holes evenly all over cake, about halfway down into cake. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl melt chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk together until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture evenly on top of cake, making sure to get melted chocolate into holes.
- For frosting, in bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment mix butter, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar until combined and smooth. Add in milk, mixing on low to combine. Once combined, turn mixer up to medium and mix for 1 minute until creamy, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Spread frosting evenly on top of cake and garnish with chocolate chips if desired.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.