Chocolate Pudding and Strawberry Jello Parfaits
- 1 (3 oz) package strawberry Jello mix
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup cold water
- 8 strawberries, hulled, tops removed and slice in half
- Chocolate Pudding
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chocolate extract (or vanilla)
- Fresh strawberries for garnish if desired
- Prepare strawberry Jello - In a large bowl, whisk together Jello mix and hot water until dissolved. Whisk in cold water for 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup of Jello mixture into serving glasses. Add sliced strawberries to jello mixture in glasses.
- Set glasses at an angle (a muffin tin works perfectly), and place into fridge for 4 hours or until Jello is set.
- Once Jello is set, make pudding layer.
- In a medium bowl combine 1 cup sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Mix together.
- Take 6 eggs, separate yolks from whites. Disregard whites.
- Add remaining whole eggs to egg yolks. Add egg yolks to sugar mixture and mix well.
- Stir in 1 cup milk.
- Heat 5 cups of milk in a saucepan; when milk is warm whisk in sugar and egg mixture.
- Cook on medium heat uncovered, until thick, about 10 minutes. Whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add in chocolate or vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Let pudding cool slightly and pour into a bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap over pudding, pressing it onto top of pudding to prevent a skin from forming as it cools.
- Once cooled, stir and spoon into glasses on top of chilled jello. Place into refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries and serve cold.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.