Chocolate Sopapillas with Dulce de Leche
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup warm water, plus more as needed
- Oil for frying
- Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar, for dusting
- Dulce de leche, warmed in the microwave
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add shortening, with fingers work into dry ingredients. Gradually add warm water until a soft dough begins to form, adding more warm water if needed.
- Shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill for at least an hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, unwrap dough and cut in half. With a floured rolling pin, roll each piece into a circle, about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into 2 to 3-inch squares.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. In a deep pot heat 2 inches of oil to 375°F over medium-high heat.
- Fry sopapillas a few at a time, flipping with a slotted spoon once sopapillas puffs, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Carefully remove sopapillas onto baking sheet to drain. Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar and drizzled with warm dulce de leche.