Chocolate Strawberry Poke Cake
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups milk + 1/2 cup
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup hulled and sliced strawberries
- Pink food coloring (optional)
- 2 cups hulled and sliced strawberries
- Crème Chantilly
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Spray a 9x13-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Mix in boiling water until smooth.
- Pour into a prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until done.
- Let cake cool completely.
- When cake is cool, use end of wooden spoon to poke holes into cake.
- For Strawberry Pudding: Heat 2 1/2 cups milk in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Stir in cornstarch, flour and sugar.
- When milk is hot, stir in sugar mixture. Stir until smooth.
- In a blender blend 1/2 cup milk and 1 cup hulled and sliced strawberries.
- Add strawberry milk to heated milk. Stir. Add food coloring to reach desired color of pink.
- Stir and heat for 8 minutes. When pudding starts to thicken, remove from heat and pour pudding over cake.
- Place cake in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or until pudding is cold.
- When ready to serve, remove cake from fridge and add a layer of sliced strawberries. Top cake with Crème Chantilly.
- Serve cold.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.