Chocolate Stuffed Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, soft
- 1 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips, maximum 51% cocoa mass content
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix soft butter and cream cheese on low speed until no lumps remain.
- Add sugar and once well combined add egg, salt, vanilla, and almond extract and mix until smooth.
- Add flour in one step and mix until just combined.
- Press dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a plastic food film or parchment lined cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator for about 40 minutes or overnight.
- About 20 minutes before starting to roll dough turn on oven at 350°F.
- Keep one half of dough chilled and roll remaining half of dough on parchment paper or a kitchen towel well sprinkled with granulated sugar. Roll dough slightly thicker than 1/8-inch or about 4 stacked credit cards. Use sugar to keep dough from sticking.
- Cut rounds using a 1 1/2-inch diameter cutter and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- In center of each round cutout place 6-7 chocolate chips.
- Roll remaining dough to same thickness and cover chocolate chips with dough rounds. Press gently on edges to seal.
- Bake until light golden on edges, about 11-12 minutes.
Chef Eddy recommends using chocolate that is not too bitter. This will ensure that it does not overpower the delicate cream cheese flavor.