Chocolate Sundae Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Dutched cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream, keep cold in refrigerator until needed
- 1/4-1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 2 cups chopped peanuts
- 24 maraschino cherries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 24 cupcake liners into muffin tins and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sugar and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla, and salt and whisk smooth.
- Meanwhile heat water until hot.
- Add dry ingredients buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot water in 3 increments, while whisking batter smooth in between additions.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and place in oven. Bake until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean, about 22-25 minutes.
- While cupcakes cool, prepare Whipped Cream Frosting. Using an electric mixer, whip cream to soft peaks. Once soft peaks have formed, add sugar (a little at a time) and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Add more sugar as needed until desired sweetness is achieved.
- Using a pastry bag, top cupcakes with frosting. To garnish, add a drizzle of chocolate sauce, chopped peanuts and maraschino cherries. If not consuming immediately, store in refrigerator until ready to serve.