Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Pie
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can pure pumpkin (15 oz) (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 50-55% cocoa mass
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar until completely smooth. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough flat and into an 8-inch circle onto a sheet of plastic food film.
- Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for about 20 minutes or until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, for easy rolling of dough, place a cookie sheet filled with ice cubes on work surface that you will be rolling dough on.
- Sprinkle dough with flour and roll into a circle large enough to cover pie pan. Press dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears.
- Prick dough with a fork on bottom and sides and place in oven. After about 5 minutes baking, ensure that dough is not puffing up in any areas. If so, prick with a fork. Bake until dough is light golden, about 8-10 minutes more. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Whisk eggs until well blended and no strings remain. Add pumpkin puree, sugar, and salt.
- Add spices, milk, and heavy cream.
- Measure and set aside 1 cup of pumpkin mixture. Pour remaining amount into prebaked pie shell.
- Combine chocolate and oil in a microwave oven proof bowl, large enough to hold the 1 cup of pumpkin puree that was set aside. Heat in 10 second increments while stirring in between. Once melted, add 1 cup pumpkin puree and quickly whisk smooth.
- Gently pour or spoon chocolate pumpkin mixture into pie, using tip of a knife, swirl it minimally ensuring a clear separation between chocolate and non-chocolate pumpkin filling.
- Place pie in oven and bake for another 55-60 minutes or until center of pie no longer trembles when pie is tapped on sides.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Place in refrigerator.
- Once chilled, decorate with Crème Chantilly.