- In double boiler whisk egg yolks, sugar and chocolate chips over simmering water until chocolate is melted and sugar is dissolved. Do not stop whisking until it is all melted. Do not let eggs scramble. Whisk with an electric mixer until it is light in color and increased in volume. When you lift whisk, it will stay on top of surface for a bit then sink back down in. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine espresso, cocoa powder and bourbon. Whisk until completely combined and have ready in a large shallow bowl.
- Beat mascarpone cheese just until smooth. Add egg mixture and beat to combine. Set aside.
- In VERY cold bowl, whip the cream and powdered sugar until doubled in volume and peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons of espresso mixture and fold in.
- Quickly dip ladyfingers in the espresso mixture (about 5-7 seconds if they are hard ladyfingers, 2-3 seconds if they are soft ladyfingers) and neatly lay on the bottom of a 9 x 9 inch pan, being sure to cover the bottom completely. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers. Spread half of whipped cream over cheese mixture then top with dipped ladyfingers.
- Layer on remaining mascarpone mixture then whipped cream. Garnish with shaved chocolate or sifted cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Preferably overnight.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.