Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups + 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 10 tablespoons cocoa powder (non Dutched)
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups well shaken buttermilk
- Filling: Basic Buttercream Frosting
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 to 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, and buttermilk. Add dry ingredients and using a firm spatula mix until combined and no flour is visible. Do not overmix as this will make batter runny.
- Either use a piping bag fitted with a medium-sized plain tip or using a spoon, drop/pipe 2 tablespoon amounts onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 12 minutes. Let cool.
- For buttercream: Beat butter until smooth and creamy, add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt and mix until light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spoon buttercream on one whoopie pie half and sandwich with another.