Cinnamon Apple Matzah Brei
- 1 Fuji or Jazz apple, washed, peeled and small diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons, divided Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 pieces matzah, broken into bite-sized pieces
- Warm water
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans for garnish
- For garnish Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- In a medium bowl, toss together diced apple, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon light brown sugar.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat and add apples. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until apples are soft.
- While apples are sautéing, soak matzah in warm water to soften for 15 seconds and drain. Add eggs, almond extract, salt and 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar to matzah.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to softened apples over medium heat. Once melted, add matzah mixture to the pan and sauté until eggs are set, about 5 minutes.
- Divide matzah brei between two dishes and top with ricotta cheese and nuts. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and sugar and serve hot.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Amy Kritzer @whatjewwannaeat.