Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 1 cup milk (room temperature 72-75°F)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour*
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 box (15 ounces) raisins, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pour milk in a bowl followed by eggs, vanilla, sugar, agave nectar and salt. Place flour on top.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and add paste to bowl.
- Using the dough hook mix dough until elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount.
- Add raisins and mix until just combined. Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place (top of refrigerator) and allow the dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60-80 minutes.
- Meanwhile butter 2 standard size loaf pans with melted butter or (even better) butter pans and then line entire pan with folded parchment paper. Parchment paper ensures an easy removal from pan.
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- Remove dough from bowl. This will make dough collapse and is normal and is required. Cut dough into 2 equal pieces and press dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle about 9 x 5 inches.
- Sprinkle each dough piece with 1/4 cup of cinnamon sugar. Roll each piece into a cylinder starting roll with 5 inch side.
- Place cylinder with seam down in prepared pan. Place in a warm area and allow to proof until 50-75% larger (Not doubled), about 60 minutes. Meanwhile turn on the oven to 350°F.
- Carefully brush loaves with beaten egg and place in oven.
- Bake for 53 minutes, if loaves are getting too dark place a buttered sheet of aluminum foil on bread during baking.
- Allow to cool in pans for 20 minutes and then remove bread.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Yeast only works in a warm environment. Make sure that the milk, eggs and butter are all at room temperature or slightly higher. The kitchen should not be cold.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments