Cinnamon Snap Cookies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix brown sugar and boiling water. Place over low flame and bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cool to lukewarm.
- Cream sugar and shortening, add brown sugar syrup and dissolved soda and beat well.
- Mix cinnamon, ginger and salt with 1 cup of flour and sift twice. Add to creamed mixture and blend thoroughly. Work in 1 additional cup of flour to make stiff dough.
- Chill, roll thin, cut into shapes and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 375° F for 8-10 minutes. If desired, cookies may be iced with Royal Icing or Cinnamon Butter Cream Frosting.
This recipe was originally published in the 1940 edition of Aunt Cora's Book of Unusual Cake and Cookies vintage cookbook. You can find the recipe on page 21.