Citrus Gingerbread Cookies
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark molasses
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 7 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix shortening, sugar, and molasses thoroughly. Stir in water. Blend all dry ingredients and then add to wet mixture.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 1 hour. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets and set aside.
- Roll chilled dough 1/4-inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Place cut out gingerbread men a couple inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until no imprint remains in dough when lightly touched. Allow to cool on baking rack.
- For orange glaze, add powdered sugar to medium bowl and make a well in center of sugar to add liquid ingredients, slowly adding milk until desired consistency is reached. Icing should be rather runny to coat and become a glaze on cookie. Add orange zest and mix in.
- Ice cooled cookies and allow glaze to set until dry.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ashley Schoenith @heirloomedblog.