Classic Pound Cake or Quatre Quart
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a standard-size loaf pan. Set aside.
- Cut butter into thin slices and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Set aside.
- Separate eggs ensuring that no yolk traces enter egg whites. Place yolks in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Egg whites will be whipped later and should be placed in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whip yolks for 1 minute and add sugar. Then, very quickly, whip them together. It is important that this mixture is rapidly and very well combined as yolk parts can otherwise become very lumpy (sugar-yolk lumps).
- Add vanilla and salt. Whip for at least 6 minutes scraping bowl in between. Whip to a thick and pale-colored mixture. Stop mixing and if using a stand mixer remove bowl from machine.
- Place butter in microwave and heat just until melted, do not get it hot; lukewarm is what is required.
- Add one-fourth of melted butter and using a rubber spatula mix until just combined. Repeat with another fourth of butter and repeat until all is incorporated.
- Add flour in 3 increments and stir to combine before adding next amount.
- Whip egg whites to medium peaks. Add 1/6 of whipped egg whites and mix until combined in this slightly firm batter.
- Add another 1/6 whites and now stir more gently until combined. Keep adding 1/6 amounts until all is incorporated and batter is homogenous.
- Transfer to prepared pan and place in oven. After 15 minutes reduce oven temperature to 330°F. Total baking time will be near 60-65 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If cake surface gets too dark drape it with aluminum foil.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.