- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 cup any type vegetable oil, including pure (non-virgin) olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 oranges, no white bitter pith
- 3 cups whipping or heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup diced candied orange peel or 1 tablespoon orange zest
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour three 9-inch cake pans and fit a round sheet of parchment on bottom for easy removal.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cloves. Set aside.
- Using a stand, a handheld mixer or a sturdy hand whisk, mix oil and eggs until completely blended.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Add sifted ingredients in one step and mix until just combined. Do not mix more than necessary.
- Divide batter evenly into pans and place in oven. Bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger and until you see cake retracting from sides in a few areas. About 29-32 minutes.
- Turn baked cake upside down onto plastic food film, a kitchen towel, or parchment paper. Do not remove parchment paper from cakes yet. Allow cakes to cool completely.
- When ready to finish cake whip cream, sugar, and vanilla in a cold bowl to firm peaks. Do not overwhip as this would cause mixture turn into butter. Fit half of cream in a piping bag fitted with a large plain pastry tip.
- Place a cake layer on a serving platter and remove parchment paper.
- Pipe “kisses” on edge of cake. Spread a layer of cream in between “kisses.”
- Top with another cake layer and remove parchment paper. Repeat cream procedure.
- Top with remaining cake layer and pipe “kisses” on surface of cake.
- Scatter candied orange peel on surface of cake, if desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.