- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup + 1 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*, sifted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut, shredded or grated
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and silky. Mix in flour.
- Spread dough in 8-inch square pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Toss coconut with 2 tablespoons of flour; set aside.
- Beat eggs with 1 cup brown sugar until smooth. Add vanilla, nuts and coconut. Toss in a pinch of salt.
- Spread topping gently over baked crust. Return to oven for 12-15 minutes more.
- Cool before cutting into 18 bars (3 across-6 down) and sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar if desired.
This recipe originally appeared on page 5 of the 1988 Volume IX, No.4 edition of Homemade Good News.