Coconut Cream Cupcakes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Coconut Cream Filling
- 5 large egg yolks (reserve the whites for buttercream)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a cupcake tin with liners and nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together butter, oil, and sugar. Mix in eggs one at a time. Mix in milk, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Mix or sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold dry ingredients into bowl until a batter forms.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter for each cupcake. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until tops look done.
- Let cool completely before filling and frosting.
- To make filling, whisk together egg yolks and cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, whisk together coconut milk, cream, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Remove 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture and slowly drizzle it into egg yolk-cornstarch mixture while whisking vigorously (place bowl on a non-slip surface to make this easier). Drizzle tempered mixture slowly back into saucepan, whisking constantly. Mixture will thicken immediately.
- Return to medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cover while allowing to cool.
- To make buttercream, whisk together egg whites and sugar in a glass or metal mixing bowl, and place bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Be sure bottom of bowl is not touching hot water.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar together for several minutes until sugar is dissolved. You can test this by rubbing a small bit of the mixture between your forefinger and thumb to check for granules.
- Once egg/sugar mixture is smooth, transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whisk on high speed for about 10-15 minutes, until stiff peaks form.
- Once stiff peaks have formed, switch to a paddle attachment and add butter 1 tablespoon at a time. Allow each tablespoon of butter to mix in completely before adding the next tablespoon.
- Mix in vanilla and coconut extract.
- Scoop center out of cupcakes using a melon baller and fill with coconut cream filling. Pipe buttercream on top and garnish with shredded coconut.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ashton Swank @keatseats.