Coconut Lime Bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 6 large egg yolks
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- Zest of 3 limes
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat standard 9x13 baking pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, and roughly 1/2 cup of toasted coconut in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse meal in texture. Alternately, you may use a food processor to combine, but do not over process. Press mixture into prepared baking pan. Bake 22-24 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven.
- While crust is baking, prepare filling. In a medium-sized bowl, combine egg yolks and condensed milk. Whisk until uniform and thick. Slowly add in zest and juice and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Top with remaining toasted coconut, and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Allow to cool in refrigerator for 4-6 hours, or until set. Keep cold until ready to serve. Cut into 24 squares, dust with confectioners sugar, if desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.
creamy and delicious