Coconut Meltaway Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk (or water)
- 1 cup toasted shredded coconut
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and coconut extract, mixing until combined. Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until completely combined.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into small circles and flatten into a disk. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are.
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing: Whisk together powdered sugar and coconut milk until smooth in a small bowl. (For a more intense coconut flavor, add 1 teaspoon of coconut extract.)
- Using a spoon, smooth icing onto top of each cookie. Quickly sprinkle with toasted coconut and let set for 10 minutes, or until hardened.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Cook only for 8 minutes and no more. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are!
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.