Coconut Pineapple Pudding
- 1/3 fresh pineapple or one 15 ounce can sliced pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 can (14-oz) coconut milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut rum, mango rum, or coconut water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream for decoration (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- A few mint or basil leaves for decoration, optional
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- If using fresh pineapple, remove peel and core. Cut in slices and then cut in pieces about the size of an almond.
- Bring water and first listed sugar to a boil. Once boiling, add pineapple and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook on very low for about 10 minutes or until pineapple is darker yellow in color and is tender.
- Strain cooked or canned pineapple. Canned pineapple will have to be cut in almond size pieces. Add vanilla and set aside.
- For pudding, bring coconut milk to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolk and then quickly add sugar, whisk very rapidly to combine.
- Add flour and cornstarch. Add about one fourth of heated coconut milk and whisk quickly. Add egg, sugar/flour mixture to remaining hot coconut milk and bring to a boil. Whisk constantly to prevent cream from burning. Once signs of thick bubbles form remove from heat.
- Place pan into a bowl filled with cold ice water and stir cream (do not stir rapidly as this makes pudding too soft) until nearly cool. Add rum or coconut water. Set aside.
- Place about half of pineapple pieces on the bottom of 4 glasses.
- Fill evenly with pudding. Cover with remaining pineapple and place in refrigerator.
- If desired, finish pudding with soft whipped cream. Whip cream and sugar to medium peaks and spoon onto pineapple. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Cut mint or basil leaves in long strips and decorate.