- 2 bags (5 oz each) unsweetened coconut
- 1 3/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey
- Optional: 1/4 cup coconut liquor or rum
- 2 bars (6 oz) high-quality chocolate with cocoa content between 50% and 60%
- Place coconut in a food processor and mix until coconut is in very fine pieces. Place in a bowl large enough to hold following syrup and set aside.
- In a saucepan bring to boil sugar, water and first listed 1/3 cup honey. Once boiling place a lid on the pan for one minute. Doing so will trap steam and make any sugar crystals stuck to the side of the pan slide down.
- Remove lid and without stirring cook syrup to 237°F. Be aware that this syrup can cause severe burns when spilled.
- Pour syrup onto coconut and using a rubber spatula stir to combine. Add vanilla. Press plastic food wrap directly on top of mixture and cover once more. Set aside until completely cool and at least 4 hours or preferably overnight. (Coconut will absorb moisture as it sits.)
- Different brands of coconut vary in amount of moisture the product contains and therefore mixture may or may not need additional moisture from honey and or liquor. Adjust as needed to obtain a firm mixture that can be rolled into balls. Start a little at a time.
- Line 2 cookie sheets or cutting boards with plastic food film and set aside.
- Chop chocolate bars into small pieces and place 2/3 of it in a microwave proof bowl. Set 1/3 of remaining chocolate aside.
- Select a saucepan which will nicely hold the above bowl. Fill saucepan with one inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling turn to very low simmer and then place chocolate bowl on top. Stir constantly until chocolate is nearly melted and has reached 115°F.
- Remove from heat and allow cooling to 112°F. Add remaining non-melted chocolate and stir until most of chocolate has melted.
- Place some chocolate on the palm of your hand and roll a coconut ball into it. Place on plastic lined cookie sheet. Repeat until all is done. If chocolate becomes too firm or cold place it for 4-5 seconds in the microwave oven.
- Store truffles in a cool place.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments