Copycat Pecan Spinwheels
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour*
- 4 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 stick + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup well packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts or pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup (for sprinkling into muffin cups) Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 cups or 1 lb. box Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk or orange juice concentrate or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pour buttermilk in a bowl followed by eggs, vanilla, sugar and salt. Place flour on top.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and place on top of flour.
- Using a dough hook, mix dough until elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount. When all butter is incorporated, stop mixing.
- Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place (top of the refrigerator) and allow the dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare filling by whisking butter, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon smooth. Set aside at room temperature. Do not add nuts.
- Prepare 2 muffin tins by brushing liberally with butter. If using silicone muffin tins, butter them as well. Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of brown sugar in each muffin cavity and set aside.
- When dough has doubled in size remove it from bowl. This will make dough collapse and is normal and is required. Cut dough in two and set aside
- On a well-floured surface roll dough into a rectangle measuring roughly 12 x 12-inches.
- Spread 1/2 of cinnamon paste evenly over surface and sprinkle with 1/2 of nuts.
- Starting from bottom edge roll dough forward into a long roll. Cut dough into 1-inch pieces using a sharp knife.
- Place into muffin tins and cover with plastic food wrap.
- Repeat with remaining dough, filling and nuts.
- Place in a warm place until rolls have gained about 75% in volume, this will take nearly 1 hour.
- If you are panning on baking these immediately preheat oven to 350°F. If baking tomorrow place cover with plastic and place in freezer for 30 minutes and then transfer to refrigerator.
- When ready to bake, place proofed or refrigerated buns in oven and bake until light golden brown, about 27-30 minutes. Meanwhile prepare glaze whisking powdered sugar, milk/juice and vanilla extract smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Remove from oven and while hot turn upside down onto a parchment paper or aluminum foil lined countertop.
- Cover with glaze and serve.
Little Debbie® and Pecan Spinwheels® are registered trademarks of McKee Foods. All rights reserved.