Copycat Samoa Cookies
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 bags (5 oz each) Werther’s® Chewy Caramels
- 2 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chocolate wafers (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until combined and no lumps remain. Add egg and mix until completely smooth. Add salt, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Sift and then add flour in one step. On low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Place dough flat onto a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface or better yet on a sheet of floured parchment paper 2-3 credit cards thick.
- Cut a cookie cutter cut circles in a 2 1/4 inch diameter and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. In each circle cut a hole using a cookie cutter of approximately 1 1/4-inch diameter.
- If at any time dough gets too soft return it to the refrigerator or freezer. Press remnants together and chill once more to cut extra cookies.
- Place cookie rings in oven and bake about 12 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Place coconut on a large cookie sheet and place in oven until light golden, about 4-5 minutes. Toss with a spatula if necessary, to obtain an evenly toasted result.
- It is best to work in two batches when making the topping. Unwrap one bag of caramels and place in a bowl large enough to hold half of toasted coconut.
- Place bowl over very low simmering water and stir caramels until melted. Add 2 tablespoons water to make it easier to stir. Adding even more water to caramel will make a softer final product. Add half of toasted coconut and mix quickly to combine.
- On each cookie ring press caramel coconut topping on each ring.
- Repeat with remaining caramels and coconut.
- If topping with chocolate, make sure that topping has completely cooled.
- Melt chocolate flavored wafers according to manufacturer’s directions and drizzle onto cookies or fill in a piping bag and pipe swirls onto each cookie.